In my latest post I shared with you the three things I did to lose eighty pounds and improve my health. Today I want to share with you three books and companion books that were extremely helpful.
It can be easier said than done to just cut the “white stuff” from our diets. You may be thinking, “What the heck will I replace the rice, pasta, bread, cereal, etc. with?” I really didn’t know where to start when I changed my diet. I did know everything I ate was going to be mostly fresh foods.
My go to meal is stir-fry. I love cooking like this because everything is in one pan and it is colorful, delicious and hearty.
The Autoimmune Fix
My first resource is “The Autoimmune Fix” by Dr. Tom O’Bryan. Not only does this book have a two phase elimination diet, it is a wealth of information about autoimmune disorders. Dr. O’Bryan has autoimmune disorders, so he has been where we are on our journey. This book is text only. There are recipes but there aren’t any pictures. I like having pictures with my recipes.
The Whole30 is my second resource. This is another program that cuts the junk out of our diet. This diet gets pretty radical if you follow it to a “T”. By that I mean the author wants you to ditch any vitamins that you are using that may have the wrong coating, etc. I didn’t go the radical route. I know I have certain sensitivities, but for me just cutting out 99% of the sugars, pre-packaged foods, and nightshades would be enough. The 1% that is left over wouldn’t be a bother.
It is a thirty day program that is effective. Here is a preview:
Avoid for 30 days.
More important, here’s what not to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. Omitting all of these foods and beverages 100% for 30 days will help you eliminate cravings, restore a healthy metabolism, heal the digestive tract, reduce systemic inflammation, and discover how these foods are truly impacting how you look, how you feel, and your quality of life.
- Do not consume added sugar, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, date syrup, stevia, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
- Do not consume alcohol, in any form, not even for cooking.(And ideally, no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
- Do not eat grains.This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, sprouted grains, and all gluten-free pseudo-cereals like quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn, and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch, and so on. Again, read your labels.
- Do not eat legumes.This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
- Do not eat dairy.This includes cow, goat, or sheep’s milk products like milk, cream, cheese, kefir, yogurt, sour cream, ice cream, or frozen yogurt.
The Whole30 guide comes with great recipes and it has a companion cookbook. I love cookbooks with beautiful pictures and both of these books have them.
The Paleo Diet
My third resource is the Paleo Diet. This diet is extremely similar to The Whole30. I liked the delivery of the information by the author in this book. The Paleo Diet book has recipes and no picutres. It has a companion cookbook.
All three of these programs are very similar and you can mix and match the recipes in each program to create a new and exciting menu that will help you create a healthier you. Removing the processed, pre-packaged food really did work for me. I have more energy, I feel much better, and my weight doesn’t bounce around like a ping-pong ball when I step on the scale.
Shop for these great books!
The Autoimmune Fix: How to Stop the Hidden Autoimmune Damage That Keeps You Sick, Fat, and Tired Before It Turns Into Disease
The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom
The Whole30 Cookbook: 150 Delicious and Totally Compliant Recipes to Help You Succeed with the Whole30 and Beyond
The Paleo Diet: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat
Real Paleo Fast & Easy
Action Steps: If you have tried any of these three plans, please tell me about your success in the comments below.