Did you know that April is National Fresh Celery Month? This was news to me! Let’s see what the benefits of celery are. We are always looking for fresh fruits and vegetables to add to our diets, so let’s see what’s cooking with celery.
National Fresh Celery Month
Did you know that celery:
- lowers cholesterol levels
- helps alleviate arthritis pain
- helps in weight loss
- detoxifies the body
- reduces high blood pressure
- prevents urinary tract infections
- helps in improving overall health and strength of teeth
1 stalk, medium 7 1/2″ long: Calories = 6
Vitamins and minerals:
- rich in vitamin K = 29.3 mcg per 100 grams = any of a group of vitamins found mainly in green leaves and essential for the blood-clotting process.
- contains folate = 36 mcg per 100 grams = It can treat certain types of anemia.
- vitamin A = 180 IU = plays a critical role in maintaining healthy vision, neurological function, healthy skin, and more.
- potassium = 104 mg 1 stalk 7 1/2″ long = plays a significant role in metabolism, water, and chemical balance in the body.
- vitamin C = 1.2 mg 1 stalk 7 1/2″ long = helps the body form and maintain connective tissue, including bones, blood vessels, and skin.
Celery is a rich source of antioxidants.
Dietary fiber: Celery is mainly water, but it is also a good source of dietary fiber. One cup of chopped celery contains 1.6 grams of fiber.
How to Select Celery
Look for green crisp stalks. Keep it in an air tight container in the frig for 5 to 7 days.
How to Grow Celery at Home
I want to share this with you guys. I didn’t know growing celery could be this easy, but it is. My husband to the bottom of the stalk and put it in our compost pile and it started to grow.