I just posted on Sunday “5 Character Traits of a Good Friend” and today I want to continue with the health benefits that you can enjoy by maintaining a good friendship.
We all know that two benefits of friendship is the fun you experience during the good times and the support you give each other during the bad. One more benefit is the companionship friendship offers that keeps away loneliness.
Here are five more benefits of a good friendship:
- Friendship gives you a sense of belonging and purpose. A sense of belonging is a human need, just like the need for food and shelter.
- Friendship will increase your happiness and reduce your stress.
- Friendship will raise your self-confidence and self-worth.
- Friendship will help you cope with difficult situations such as divorce, a debilitating illness, loss of a job or the death of a loved one.
- A good friend will encourage you to change your unhealthy lifestyle habits and participate in your success.
Are you receiving these benefits from your friendships? Do you need to evaluate your friendships and see how you rank yourself in the part you play as a friend? Remember, the way you want to be treated is the way you need to be treating your friend.
3 Things you can do to Enrich Your Friendship
You have two ears and one mouth. You should be listening twice as much as you are talking. Your friend has things she wants to talk about. She doesn’t want to be the one only listening.
Rejoice in your friend’s success.
Everything is not all about you. Your friend has great news that she wants to share with you. Listen, ask questions, be genuine and be interested in what she has to share.
Make your friend’s day.
Whether or not your friend is experiencing a good or bad day, do something that will let her know that you are thinking of her and that you value your friendship. Send a snail mail card. Schedule a spa day and surprise her with it. The ideas are endless.
I hope that my blog post today will have you re-evaluating your friendships and it encourages you to continue to look for new ways to improve and foster a friendship that will last your lifetime.